Monday, March 8, 2010

The Experience of the Emerging Technology Poster Session

Going into every project during college you have certain expectations on how you think it is going to go, what might go wrong, how easy or difficult it may be, but then sometimes you are wrong. I am not technology savvy so when the assignment of emerging technology poster session came up, you could say I was not thrilled. Needless to say, I found the Skiff Reader, an emerging technology that was very interesting to me.

The Skiff Reader is similar to the Ipad but it is flexible, more durable, personalized, and could have a huge effect on educational institutions and students. Right now the Skiff Reader allows the user to download their favorite magazines, newspapers, periodicals, etc. and eventually could lead to downloading textbooks as well. What's so great about this technology is that it may have the capability to download all of your textbooks on the Skiff Reader and only carry 1 lb. around campus instead of a 25 lb. book bag.

Also it is giving society exactly what we ask for! We want personalization, we want ubiquity of access, we want to always be connected to society and know what's going on. The Skiff Reader provides us with that capability. It satifies the "always on" feeling that society has when it comes to technology. Also with our crazy college lives there is always something unusual that happens and luckily the Skiff Reader is extremely durable, scratch proof, crack proof, and can be dropped and not break!

The experience of explaining my technology to other students during the poster session was very helpful for a few different reasons. First off, it helped me learn our lecture material because I had to teach them about my technology and how it connected to class. Also it was fun! I never thought I would say it, but it was, I was knowledgable on something that never would interest me at a passing glance. But most of all I felt accomplished when it was all said and done, my poster was efficeint in attracting "tweeters" and getting the information across clearly. Thank you for providing me with this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment