Thursday, March 25, 2010

Geocaching: Does it make it easier or more difficult to communicate?

After experiencing Geocaching for the first time I am quite intrigued. It amazes me that we can use so many types of technology and yet still have a difficult time deciphering messages. For example, I was the reporter for my group and I was tweeting while we were searching around campus for the cache. Even though I was tweeting in what I thought was great detail, the central station could not understand the context of my messages. This played an important part especially when it came to interpreting the clues that individuals were tweeting. The clues were fairly simple but not being able to communicate face to face made it difficult to solve the puzzle. I never knew that something like geocaching existed, but it was a lot of fun and definitely a learning experience. I had never really participated in a game that depended on using technology to communicate with others in order to win. You would think that as advanced as technology is it would make it easier to communicate, but maybe it is still up to us to clearly express our ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment